Drug Liability & Prescription Drug Side Effects
Because of the financial reward of high priced drugs, pharmaceutical companies are rushing to the market prescription drugs that are too often defective, lacking adequate testing. Many times the tests that are done are performed by the Federal Drug Administration (FDA) in laboratories funded by the drug companies. People taking these drugs often suffer injury or death before a prescription medicine recall has been instituted.
For Colorado residents, there are medicines that have a problematic safety record. These include some of the following:
- Vivitrol is used to treat alcohol addition. Side reactions to the injections have occurred with the use of the injectable naltrexone, recalled August 2008.
- Fentanyl Patches are strong narcotic painkillers. Numerous occurrences of leaky patches injected lethal doses of the drug, leading to death.
- Viapro 375 mg capsules were recalled after discovering it contained an undeclared ingredient that could lower blood pressure to potentially dangerous levels.
- Adderall is used to treat ADHD and increases the risk of heart attacks, high blood pressure and additional cardiovascular complications that could lead to sudden death.
- Trasylol is used during cardiopulmonary bypass to prevent blood loss and inhibit inflammation. Its use severely increases the risk of heart attack and failure and stroke.
- Gadolinium (Gadolinium based MRI contrast agents used during magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)) have shown some rare but serious debilitating, possibly fatal conditions caused by this product’s use.
There are five different contrast agents, but the warning given by the FDA is on all of them.
If you or a loved one has been affected by a pharmaceutical drug side effect, you may have a personal injury claim. The Denver lawyers at Avery Law Firm have 29 years of trial experience, trying personal injury cases related to pharmaceutical errors and harmful pharmaceutical drugs. Please call us at (303) 840-2222 or toll free (866) 987-4368 for a free and immediate consultation or complete a contact form online.