What to do if you have been the victim of a HIPAA violation!

If you believe that a HIPAA-covered entity or its business associate violated your (or someone else’s) health information privacy rights or committed another violation of the Privacy, Security, or Breach Notification Rules, you may file a complaint with the Office for Civil Rights (OCR). OCR can investigate complaints against covered entities (health plans, health care clearinghouses, or health care providers that conduct certain transactions electronically) and their business associates.

You can file your complaint online here:  OCR Complaint Portal

Most HIPAA violations don’t cause sufficient damages to justify an attorney, but the Office of Civil Rights is a ‘user friendly’ destination to resolve your complaint and possibly levy fines against the offenders.