James W. “Jim” Avery D/B/A Avery Law Firm ™, is a graduate of the University of Denver College of Law (J.D. 1982) with over 30 years experience as a Trial Lawyer, has been acknowledged as a leader in the field of personal injury litigation, and invited to join numerous professional organizations which seek to identify the leading lawyers in the country. Most recent awards/invitations include Super Lawyer (Civil Litigation-Plaintiff-2017), AIPIA “10 Best Attorney”-CO-2017, NAOPIA “Top 10 Attorney”-CO-2017, Nation’s Top One Percent (2015), Top 100 Trial Lawyers (2015), “10 Best” Personal Injury Law Attorneys for Client Satisfaction in Colorado (2015), and Best Attorneys of America-Lifetime Charter Member (Invited, 2015). Listed below are some of those organizations.
- SERIOUS PERSONAL INJURY
- WRONGFUL DEATH
- PROFESSIONAL MALPRACTICE
- PRODUCT LIABILITY
- INSURANCE LAW, BAD FAITH & CONSUMER FRAUD
- TRUCKING, AVIATION, AUTO, MOTORCYCLE, BIKING & PEDESTRIAN ACCIDENTS
- SKIING, RECREATION AND SPORTS ACCIDENTS
- HOSPITAL LIABILITY
- NEW YORK (1982)
- COLORADO (1983)
- INDIANA (2003)
- S. DISTRICT COURT-COLORADO (1983)
- S. DISTRICT COURT-WESTERN DISTRICT NEW YORK (1983)
- S. DISTRICT COURT-SOUTHERN DISTRICT INDIANA (2003)
- TENTH CIRCUIT U.S. COURT OF APPEALS (1983)
- S. DISTRICT COURT-NORTHERN DISTRICT CALIFORNIA (1989)
- S. DISTRICT COURT-SOUTHERN DISTRICT CALIFORNIA (1991)
- DISTRICT COURT-HARRIS COUNTY (HOUSTON), TEXAS (2004)
- J.D.,1982, The University of Denver Sturm College of Law, Denver, Colorado
-Barrister’s Cup Fellow (1982)
- B.A.,1979, Austin College, Sherman, Texas
-Psi Chi National Honor Society
- Colorado Bar Association
- Colorado Trial Lawyers Association
- Indiana Trial Lawyers Association
- Member, Top 100 Trial Lawyers, NTLA
- Member, Nation’s Top One Percent, NADC
- Lead trial lawyer in Rocky Allen HIV Hepatitis Mass Tort Cases (CO, AZ, WA, CA).
- Clark v. Estate of Brookoff, 14CA1131 (2016)-Established new law in Colorado re inapplicability of Dead Man’s Statute when insurance coverage available.
- Zeiger v. Floyd-2012-Largest post-concussion verdict in Colorado-$1.2 million.
- Paraplegia caused by Cardio-thoracic surgeon-2011-Anonymous settlement-$1 million policy limits.
- Death by Rural Hospital ED-2010-Anonymous $875,000 settlement for failure to diagnose aortic dissection leading to death.
- Fairbrother v. Gold Crown Foundation, Inc.-2009-First case to apply Premises Liability Act to hold non-profit sports organization liable for brain injury to participant for failure to use air conditioning-$1.6 million verdict.
- C. v. Liberty Mutual Ins. Co., Bad faith settlement for $1.5 million.
- Hance v. Williams, et al.-2005-Aviation case related legal malpractice verdict in Harris County, Texas
- Gensler v. Wilkes-2002-First “Road Rage” verdict in Colorado-$1.1 million verdict
- Ross E. Apgar, et al. v. William R. Kennedy, Jr. – 1998- US Bankruptcy Court-First case to successfully apply civil RICO in Colorado & California-$13+ million awarded
- Kerin et al. v. Children’s Hospital & Edward McCleary MD-1995-Colorado Craniosynostosis Epidemic involved over 600 cases of pediatric neurosurgery-resulted in dismissal of Chief of Neurosurgery and restructuring of Children’s Hospital
- Anonymous Denver Children’s Hospital Settlement- 1995-Largest malpractice settlement to date under Colorado Health Care Availability Act according to Richard Dana, JAG
- Multiple other confidential million dollar settlements in a variety of cases.
- Latest story on Swedish Hospital case: Channel 4 News-March 4, 2017.
- KPNX 12 News coverage of Lincoln Medical Center and Banner Health Medical Center Patients exposed to HIV Hepatitis in OR-2016.
- Q13, Komo4, King5 News coverage of Northwest Hospital patients exposed to HIV Hepatitis in OR-2016
- Denver Post, FOX31, 4News & 9News coverage of Swedish Med Center patients exposed by dirty needles in OR-2016.
- FOX31 & 9News coverage of Amber McCullough (mother of conjoined twins) barred from Children’s Hospital Colorado-2015
- Denver Post Sunday, Denver & The West front page “Nonprofit Liable In Heat Injury,” April 5, 2009.
- Rocky Mountain News Front Page, “Road Rage Victim Awarded $1.1 million” March 12, 2002.
- Sunday Denver Post Front Page for Craniosynostosis Epidemic cases in 1995-1996, four times on front page of Sunday Denver & The West section.
- ABC’s 20/20 with Barbara Walters in 1996 for Craniosynostosis epidemic cases.
- Wall Street Journal in 1996 for Craniosynostosis epidemic cases.
PUBLIC SERVICE ACTIVITIES
- Assisted with formation of Brain Injury associations in Colorado and New York.
- Humanitarian aid trips to South Sudan to assist victims of war.
- Supporter of Cherry Hills Community Church Missions Department
- Supporter of GOAL and WARCHILD non-governmental aid agencies and charities.